The Cutty Sark is an English trading vessel built in 1869 and was one of the fastest sailing ships of its time and also the last merchant clipper to be built. In 1954 it was laid up as a museum ship in a special dry dock in Greenwich, London, but was almost entirely destroyed in a fire in May 2007.
The plan was to reopen it at the end of 2011 when restoration has been completed. In April 2012 the museum opened. Part of the restoration project included an exhibition area all around the vessel. This will be covered by glazed roofing which was part of a free-form roof / facade envelope with a total area of 1,600 m2. The design of the network structure reflected the demands of architectural and structural considerations. For the installation of the structure it was important that as many members as possible can be bolted together.